Friday, August 20, 2010

Out with the old and in with The New.

If anyone reading this is familiar with Christian Dior, you more than likely have heard of his 'New Look.' For those of you who have not, 'The New Look' was a revolutionary silhouette (or shape) that came from Dior's 1947 Sping/Summer collection. The 'New Look' entailed a large bust, very thin waist, and full mid-calf skirt.

(this picture is from mariabuskez.com. it is not mine. i do not take any credit for it.)

This new style was extremley popular and influenced most designeres all over the world. Aside from bringing fame to Dior himself, the strong silhouette also brought Paris to the highest heights of the fashion world.

In the above paragraph I said that The New Look was extremley popular but I should have said that it currently is popular. The Fall 2010 runway shows have had many themes in common however, one in particular is the return of the ever-amazing New Look. And let me say, thank God. I love the fifties and I love Dior so the rebirth of this style (which never really went away if you ask me...) makes me feel like Christmas came early.

(i do not take credit for any of these pictures. as much as i wish i could have been there to take them, they are from style.com. in order from top to bottom the designers are as follows: Catcheral, Prada, Louis Vuitton, and Fendi)

Even though I'm very anti-trend and wish that people would simply wear something because they adore it rather than because they want others to adore it, I am in love with the fities influence in these designers fall collections. If you really want to be "trendy" (or as my aunt likes to say "with It") then I suggest you go out and buy yourself some kind of full skirt, a new loooong coat, and for you men, a polo shirt or two. Hello Mr. Fities-Decade, welcome to 2010.

xoxo alexandra

3 comments:

  1. Heeey :) thankyou for your lovely comment! It means alot! I checked out your blog and I love it :) I dont actually think my blog is doing that well... I've just got to stick at it :) I am now following you, would you follow me back? Much love, Louisa xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last dress in particular is gorge
    Jaymie
    http://jaymieocallaghan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw thank you Louisa and Jaymie for the fab comments! I'm now following both of youuu :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! I would love to know what you think :)